Frequently Asked Questions

Who can I contact to learn more about the University of Michigan NROTC?

For more information or answers to specific questions, please contact MIDN 3/C Josie Lautenschleger, the midshipman recruiting officer, at

More frequently asked questions can be found on the Scholarship website here.

What is NROTC?

The Naval Reserve Officers Training Corps (NROTC) is a scholarship based commissioning program.  Individuals in the program (midshipman) receive full tuition scholarships and are commissioned as officers in either the United States Navy or United States Marine Corps.

What are the financial benefits of the NROTC program?

Scholarship students receive a full tuition scholarship as well as a book stipend of $375 at the beginning of each semester.  Scholarship students also receive a monthly stipend to help cover living expenses. Freshmen receive $250, sophomores receive $300, juniors receive $350, and seniors receive $400 per month.

What is the required commitment of the NROTC program?

The usual service commitment for NROTC graduates is eight years with at least five years in active duty.  Service time not served in active duty is instead served as part of the Naval Reserve.

What is the difference between NROTC and the Naval Academy?

While both are means of being commissioned as an officer in the United States Navy, NROTC gives individuals a traditional college experience unlike the more regimented lifestyle of the Naval Academy.

Are there NROTC commitments outside of the school year?

Yes, scholarship students attend additional training during the summer.  This training, termed “Cruise”, puts midshipman onto Navy bases and ships and provides more hands-on experience.

How do I apply for college program?

The college program is a way for non-scholarship students to participate in the unit while working towards earning a scholarship. One applies for the program by contacting the unit directly and submitting a college program application. Application deadline and requirements can be found on the “College Program” tab under “Prospective Students”

Can I join the University of Michigan NROTC while attending a school other than the University of Michigan?

The University of Michigan NROTC is only open to students at the University of Michigan and Eastern Michigan University.

How do I apply for a scholarship?

Those still in high school  may apply for a scholarship online via the national NROTC website.

Individuals in college with less than 90 credit hours may apply for a 2 or 3 year scholarship through their college’s NROTC Unit.

How do I join the University of Michigan Naval ROTC unit?

Individuals in high school may apply for an NROTC scholarship and select the University of Michigan or Eastern Michigan University as one of the colleges they wish to attend.  Individuals will also have to apply for and be accepted by the college they choose.

Individuals in college with less than 90 credit hours can join by applying for a 2 or 3 year scholarship through the Unit.

Those who did not receive an NROTC scholarship may apply for the college program.

What is the difference between NROTC and Officer Candidate School (OCS)?

OCS commissions individuals as officers after they have already attended college and received their degrees. NROTC is during college and, in turn, pays for college tuition, unlike OCS.

What is the weekly schedule of someone in NROTC?

Beyond normal classes, midshipman attend multiple Physical Training (PT) sessions per week, a Naval Science class, and a weekly two hour drill period. The unit also offers many extracurricular activities including but not limited to Drill Team, Competition Color Guard, Endurance Team, and Intramural Sports.